The annual Waiheke High School Athletics Day will take place THIS Friday 18th February on the school fields. This is a whole school event that will run throughout the normal school hours.
Athletics Day is an inter-house sports competition, and students are expected to participate in as many events as possible to contribute to their house points.
Unfortunately, the Red covid setting means that whānau and friends are unable to spectate this year. We will endeavour to catch photos and videos of the day instead.
We have worked hard to ensure Athletics Day can go ahead this year in accordance with the Covid-19 Protection Framework red setting. Several actions have been made to ensure maximum safety and reduce mixing of year levels, including:
– students will be separated by year levels/gender with no combined groups (small numbers)
– there will be no full school briefing assembly
– students will attend whānau time at 8:30 am to ensure accurate contact tracing rolls
– high jump will take place outside rather than inside the rec centre
– no 1500m event (which involved the full school)
– 100m finals will take place in year levels rather than in front of the full school
– fewer relays and spectators will watch from separate year level areas around the field
– sanitisation stations will be provided at each event and equipment use will be minimal
– social distancing will be maintained where possible
– masks will be recommended throughout the day when not actively participating