BYOD is now firmly entrenched at Waiheke High School and in 2019 all Year 7 students will be using devices in most subjects.
Email Tony Sears – email@example.com – for more information on BYOD at Waiheke High.
- A Laptop, Netbook or Tablet will provide students with a comprehensive learning tool and is ideal as an information retrieval and content creation device.
- Size – The minimum diagonal screen size length should be 24cm (10 inches). Please note that mobile phones and mini-iPads are not suitable.
- Web Browser – The Google Chrome browser is necessary for our systems.
- Battery Life – Should last at least 6 hours to be able to get through a school day without recharging.
- Weight – Should be light enough for your child to carry around all day. Anything more than 1.5kg (including the case) may be too heavy.
- Wireless – Should state that it has b/g/n or a/b/g/n
- RAM – A minimum of 2GB (but 4GB or more) is recommended for Laptops / Netbooks.
- Robustness – Your device should be strong enough to survive a fall onto a hard surface. Protection for tablets is stronglyrecommended.
- A 2-3 year warranty should be considered.
- A carry bag or protective case.
- Contents insurance to cover your child’s device.
- USB pen drive
|Waiheke High School is not responsible for the maintenance and operation of your device.
- Insurance – Whilst we take care to protect students’ property, we cannot accept responsibility for devices that are lost, damaged or stolen. Please ensure that the device is covered for these possibilities. Accidental damage insurance may also be available if desired.
- Warranty – A minimum warranty of 1-year is recommended, but you may wish to consider upgrading this to a 2 or 3-year warranty. Another factor is how long the device will be away for if it requires repair under warranty: this could be a few days or as long as a few weeks. Please check if the supplier can offer a loan device should repair be necessary.
- Anti-virus Software – For Windows or Mac OSX devices, anti-virus software and anti-spyware are essential to protect the data on the device and prevent it being used to spread this malware to other devices at home or school.
See this article that compares Tablets to Laptops for BYOD before making your decision.